Craddock & Woods, Architects
DBA: Craddock & Woods, Lincoln, Nebraska
The short-lived partnership between James Henry Craddock and A. W. Woods lasted only part of the year 1889. Close contemporaries in age, both men had arrived in Lincoln in 1885. Craddock initially practiced independently, while by 1887 Woods had associated himself with Artemas Roberts. In the Lincoln city directory of 1889, Craddock was listed as an architect, Woods as a draughtsman, and Roberts as president of the New Republic Publishing Company. It was apparently during Roberts' hiatus from active architectural practice that Craddock and Woods associated. When they dissolved their firm, Woods rejoined Roberts as Roberts & Woods, Architects and shortly after, Craddock formed a new partnership with Alexander Hay as Craddock & Hay, Architects.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Not listed in Nebraska directories.
Educational & Professional Associations
1887, 1890-1903: Roberts & Woods, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1889: Craddock & Woods, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1890-1891: Craddock & Hay, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1903: Woods & Shaffer, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1906-1912: Woods & Cordner, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1917-1918: Woods & Anderson, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
a. Nebraska State Journal of May 2, 1889 reported that "The contract will be let early next week for the new residence of J. D. Calhoun on Twelfth and Plum streets. The plans have been drawn by Craddock & Woods. The house will be comfortable and handsome. It will be an ideal home." The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its association with Calhoun, a newspaper editor, and for its apparently close derivation from a published plan by Shoppell.
b. A brief article in Nebraska State Journal of June 19, 1889 reported "The Chinese dive on N street, between Eleventh and Twelfth, is no more. The house that sheltered the Celestials has been demolished. It has been razed to the ground. On the property will rise a fine three story brick block, the plans for which are now being prepared by Craddock & Woods. The front is to be of pressed brick, with stone and terra cotta trimmings and a solid stone cornice. The building will be put up by Mrs. Sarah Harris." According to Lincoln city directories, the City Library occupied the second floor of Mrs. Harris' building at 1132 N in the early 1890s.
1. "Craddock & Woods, Architects," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (May 4, 1889), 8.
2. "Notice of Dissolution," Daily News (December 23, 1889), 4; (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (December 29, 1889) 6.
3. "Ready for Work. Craddock & Hay, Architects, Fling Their Banner to the Breeze," (Lincoln, Nebraska) Evening Call (February 8, 1890), 5.
4. "Proposals Wanted," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (April 26, 1889), 8; (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (May 2, 1889), 6.
5. "A Handsome Building to be Erected on N Street, near the Zehrung Property," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 19, 1889), 8.
6. "Pleased with their work--State Exposition Commissioners submit a report...Nebraska Building," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (December 4, 1898), 3.
E. F. Zimmer, “Craddock & Woods, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, June 28, 2020. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, April 21, 2021.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.