Woods & Anderson, Architects
Alfred Wilderman Woods (1857-1942), Architect, Lincoln, Nebraska
Woods & Anderson, Architects was a brief partnership of approximately a year’s duration between 33-year-old Sten T. Anderson and 60-year-old A. W. Woods. Anderson’s prior architectural experience was as a draftman, principally for Lincoln architect F. C. Fiske and his partners. Woods’ practice was very busy before joining with Anderson and the partners are credited with over a half-dozen projects in four states. But 1918 and 1919 appear to have been lean years for Woods, perhaps due to the World War. Their association ended about a year after it began in April 1917. Anderson worked briefly as an independent architect in 1918, then was employed by Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad as a draftsman, engineer, and instrument maker.[i]
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1918
Educational & Professional Associations
Buildings & Projects
a. American Contractor described this project on April 7, 1917, under A. W. Woods' name. Two weeks later, it was described as: "Fremont, Nebr.--Church: $40,000. 2 sty., bas. & balcony. 62x115. Archts. Woods & Anderson...Lincoln. Owner Meth. Church...Prelim. sketches." An update in June reported: "Final plans ready abt. June 20." This change in identification of the architect coincides with the announcement of the Woods & Anderson partnership. In July, 1917, the magazine noted of this project: "Will build in spring."
b. American Contractor described this project as: "School: $5,000. 1 sty. & bas. 52x45. Malcolm, Nebr. Archts. Woods & Anderson...Lincoln. Owner School Dist. No. 100, Malcolm. Brk veneer..."
c. A "Personal" note in American Contractor of April 21, 1917: "Woods & Anderson, architects, have opened an office at 508 Ganter buliding, Lincoln, Neb. The firm is composed of A. W. Woods and S. T. Anderson, the latter having been for several years a draftsman in the office of Fiske & Meginnis."
d. American Contractor in May, 1917, announced: "Plymouth, Nebr.--School: $19,000. 2 sty. & bas. 84x81. Archts. Woods & Anderson...Preliminary plans."
e. This project began in 1916 under A. W. Woods prior to his partnership with Anderson. American Contractor of July 7, 1917 described this project as: "Church: $26,000. 2 sty. & bas. 63x63. Kingfisher, Okla. Archts. Woods & Anderson...Lincoln. Owner M. E. Church...Press or com. brk., Carthage cut stone, comp., tar & gravel rfg. Prelim. plans." Also noted, "Bids rejected." First United Methodist Church 102 S. Main St. in Kingfisher appears to be the Woods design, carried to completion.
f. American Contractor described this project as: "Church: $8,000. 1 Sty. & bas. 30x50. Wagner, S. D. Archts. Woods & Anderson...Lincoln. Owner Presby. Church...Brk. & stone trim, shingle rfg., pressed & common brk. & Bedford & conc. cut stone. Plans drawn." A September 1917 update mentioned "Day work."
g. American Contractor described this project under a heading "Lincoln, Nebr." "Res. (add. & rem.): $6,000. 2 sty. 730 S. 14th. Archts. Woods & Anderson...Press & com. brk. veneer, shingle rft. Drawing plans." An August 1917 reference to the project added the client's name, Mrs. N. J Tucker.
h. American Contractor described this project as "Dairy Products Bldg:--$15,000. 2 sty. 75x60. Sioux City, Ia. Archts. Woods & Anderson, 506 Ganter bldg. Owner Roberts San. Dairy Co. Both of Lincoln. Brk, comp. rfg. Bids by owner."
i. Sten T. Anderson was born in Chicago May 19, 1884 to Torgny Anderson, a physician and surgeon, and Hannah (Broman) Anderson. Sten attended the University of Nebraska 1904-07 and was Chief Musician in the Cadet Band in 1907. Prior to his year with Woods, Lincoln City Directories listed him as a draftsman for the Lincoln Telephone & Telegraph Company in 1911 and then with architect F. C. Fiske from 1913-1917. In 1917, he was an "Engineer and Draftsman" in the Grounds and Buildings department of the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. His partnership with Woods was of brief duration, from April 1917 to early 1918. By April 1918, Woods was again being listed in American Contractor as the sole name on his projects. Later in 1918, Anderson practiced briefly as a solo architect , then next worked many years for Chicago, Quincy, and Burlington Railroad. He was variously listed in City Directories with the railroad as a designer (1920), draftsman, instrument man or instrument maker (1922, 1924, 1930), or civil engineer (1928). The 1930 U. S. Census listed Anderson as "technical engineer...steam RR." Subsequently Anderson was a draftsman for the Nebraska Department of Road and Irrigation (1939 directory). Through his last year in the City Directories (1965) he was listed as "rep. Photographic Society of America." He died March 11, 1966. His obituary identified him as a retired civil engineer for Burlington Railroad, and a "Fellow of Photographic Society of America."
j. American Contractor described this project as "Church:--$10,000. 2 sty. & bas. 30x50. Lake Andes, S.D. Archts. Woods & Anderson, 506 Ganter bldg. Owner M.E. Church, Lake Andes. Brk, t.c. & stone. Plans drawn."
1. American Contractor, (April 7, 1917), 96; (April 21, 1917), 29; 92C; (July 21, 1917), 66C.
2. American Contractor, (June 16, 1917), 76A; (July 21, 1917), 30; (November 3, 1917), 74.
3. American Contractor, (April 31, 1917), 92G.
4. American Contractor, (May 12, 1917), 24.
5. American Contractor, (July 7, 1917), 45, 80.
6. American Contractor, (August 18, 1917), 62; (August 25, 1917), 55; (September 29, 1917), 21.
7. American Contractor, (July 28, 1917), 59; (August 4, 1917), 79.
8. American Contractor, (January 5, 1918), 60, 62.
9. "General Information," in The Register and Catalogue for the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska, (Lincoln: State Journal Company, 1917), 18.
10. Cornhusker [yearbook of the University of Nebraska] (Lincoln: University of Nebraska, 1907), n.p.
11. American Contractor, (November 3, 1917), 74.
12. Obituary, Lincoln Star (March 12, 1966), 17:7.
13. American Contractor (August 10, 1918), 33, 55.
E. F. Zimmer, “Woods & Anderson, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, May 5, 2016. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, May 25, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.