Harvey C. Peterson (1898-1984), Architect
Harvey C. Peterson was born January 28, 1898 to Ane Hansdatter and August Peterson in Chicago. He completed his education in Chicago and started out his career there as well, under the tutelage of several area architects. He then worked for firms in Omaha; Casper, Wyoming; and Clinton, Iowa before settling in Omaha, where he practiced his profession independently. Harvey Peterson died on December 20, 1984.[d]
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1920, 1925-1926, 1928-1929, 1931-1940
Educational & Professional Associations
1904-1912: Nash Grammar School, Chicago, Illinois.
1912-1913: Austin High School, Chicago, Illinois.
1913-1914: Night School, Chicago Technical College, Chicago, Illinois.
1913-1914: office work and training, Robert M. Hyde, Architect, Chicago, Illinois.
1914: detailing, Joseph G. Ludgin, Architect, Chicago, Illinois.
1915: plans and specifications, Hawthorne Cement Products, Cicero, Illinois.
1915-1916: plans and specifications, Thomas R. Bishop, Architect, Chicago, Illinois.
1916-1917: plans and specifications, Frank M. Pray, Architect, Chicago, Illinois.
1918: plans, specifications and estimating, Larsen and Jurgensen Construction, Casper, Wyoming.
1918-1919: draftsman, Curtis Companies, Clinton, Iowa.
1920: private practice, Nebraska and western Iowa.
1929-1932: architect, 418 Bankers Reserve Life Building, Omaha, Nebraska.
1933-1934: architect, 604 Union State Bank, Omaha, Nebraska.
1935-1939: supervisor, HOLC, Omaha, Nebraska.
1938: Registered Professional Architect, Nebraska, August 29, 1938; A-74.
1940: architect, 554 Omaha National Bank Building, Omaha, Nebraska.[c]
Buildings & Projects
Building (1922), 614 N. 18th St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0128-053)
Rowhouse (1922), 630-32 N. 33rd St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0214-009)
Rowhouse (1922), 3305-07 Webster St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0214-023)
Building (1922), 4120-22 S. 13th Street, Omaha, Nebraska.
Omaha Wholesale Florists (1928), 2564 Harney St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0209-039)
Commercial Building (1929), 1718 Jackson St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0122-065)
Addition to Logan Fontanelle Homes (n.d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
a. Designed and supervised construction 1920-1938.
b. Listed under Peterson in Omaha Architects Database.
c. Last Omaha directory listing, 1940.
1. "Housing in Omaha, Nebraska 1939-40: So. Side Terrace & Logan Fontanelle Homes Add'n," Omaha Housing Authority Annual Report. (Filed Nebraska State Historical Society Collections Department)
2. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
3. Application for Registration to Practice Professional Engineering and Architecture, Nebraska State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Architects, April 11, 1938. Nebraska State Historical Society RG081 SG2.
4. "Harvey C. Peterson" FindaGrave.com Accessed December 18, 2018 via https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/90013638
D. Murphy, “Harvey C. Peterson (1898-1984), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, December 18, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, April 21, 2021.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.