Dufrene & Mendelssohn, Architects
Alfred R. Dufrene, Omaha, Nebraska
Louis Mendelssohn, Omaha, Nebraska
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1881-1885
Lineage of the Firm
1868-1870: Borst & Dufrene, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
1874-1881: A. R. Dufrene, Architect, Omaha, Nebraska.
1881-1885: Dufrene & Mendelssohn, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
1886: A. R. Dufrene, Architect, Omaha, Nebraska.
1886-1887: Mendelssohn & Fisher, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
1887: Mendelssohn & Lawrie, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
1888-1893: Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
1893-1896: Louis Mendelssohn (1842- ), Architect, Omaha, Nebraska.
1883-1884: employed George A. Berlinghof (1858-1944), Architect, as draftsman.
1884: employed George Lee Fisher, as draftsman.
Buildings & Projects
Wm. A. Paxton Store (1884), SE corner 15th & Farnam, Omaha, Nebraska.
Valley County Courthouse (1885), Ord, Nebraska.
Academy of the Sacred Heart (n. d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
Omaha National Bank (n. d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
Paxton, Gallagher & Co. Warehouse (n. d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
Parlin, Orendorf & Martin Warehouse (n. d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
S. R. Brown residence (n. d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
P. E. Iler's Building (n. d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
Burlington Headquarters (n.d.), Omaha, Nebraska.
1. A. T. Andreas, History of the State of Nebraska (Chicago: The Western Historical Company, 1882), 767.
2. “Mendelssohn & Laurie” The [Omaha] Herald (January 1, 1887).
3. Standard Blue's Buildings of the 80's.
4. Omaha Bee Annual Supplement (January 1, 1882).
5. Oliver B. Pollak, Nebraska Courthouses: Contention, Compromise, and Community [Images of America Series] (Chicago: Arcadia Publishing, 2002), 40. [725.1.P771n]
6. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
7. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
8. Robert Peters, “Bemis Bag Company NRHP Nomination,” OCPD (August 1978).
D. Murphy, “Dufrene & Mendelssohn, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, November 21, 2014. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, December 15, 2018.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.