Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie, Architects
Louis Mendelssohn, Omaha, Nebraska
George Lee Fisher, Omaha, Nebraska
Harry Lawrie, Omaha, Nebraska
See the individual architects' page for biographical information.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1888-1893
Lineage of the Firm
1881-1885: Dufrene & Mendelssohn, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska
1885-1886: Mendelssohn & Fisher, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
1888-1893: Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.[b]
1893-1913: Fisher & Lawrie, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
ca. 1887-ca. 1907: employed William E. Stockham, as draftsman, at some unspecified time during this period.
1888: employed George A. Berlinghof (1858-1944), Architect, as draftsman.
Buildings & Projects
Minnelusa Pumping Station (1888-1889), Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0256-002)
Commercial Building (1889), 1817 Leavenworth St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0120-003)
Pickering Memorial Methodist Church (1889), 20th & Davenport, Omaha, Nebraska.
E. E. Brown house (1890), Lincoln, Nebraska.
Building for G. Hicks (1890), 3003 Pacific, Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0204-008)
Faith Temple Church of God In Christ (1890), 2108 Emmet St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0142-002)
Omaha Merchants Express Transfer (1891), 802 S. 14th, Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0119-027)
Western Normal College (ca. 1892), rural Lancaster County, Nebraska. (LC00-037)
C. O. Taylor house (n.d.), Ottumwa, Iowa. (ca. 1895-97)
First National Bank (n.d.), Omaha, Nebraska. (Cf. Mendelssohn & Fisher, The Herald)
a. Retirement of George Fisher announced, January 1, 1887.
b. Fisher rejoins the firm, January 1, 1888.
c. Mendelssohn's 1896 Omaha City Directory listing, "Moved to Europe."
d. In February 1888, at least thirteen architects vied for the commission to design Lancaster County Commissioners. Nebraska-based architects included Ellis, Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie, Hodgson & Son, Architects of Omaha; and Placey, James Tyler, Hawkins, and Gray of Lincoln.
1. “Mendelssohn & Lawrie,” Omaha Daily Bee, Annual Review (January 1, 1888).
2. “Mendelssohn & Lawrie,” The [Omaha] Herald (January 1, 1887).
3. John Grant, “Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie,” Glimpses of Omaha (ca. 1888), 50-51.
4. Omaha Daily Bee (March 12, 1889), 5, and (April 1, 1889), 2.
5. Western Normal College [catalog] (1892), inside front cover (see LC00-037).
6. Carbon copy specification, A Brick Dwelling for E. E. Brown, Lincoln, Nebraska (April 1890, Nebraska State Historical Society Library: MSS — Brown, Erastus E).
7. David Murphy, phone converstaion with Ralph Christian, Iowa S.H.P.O., June 23, 1986.
9. Drawings in owner's possession
10. Landmarks, Inc., An Inventory of Historic Omaha Buildings (Omaha: Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, 1980).
11. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
12. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
13. "Library (Old)," Kay Logan-Peters, An Architectural Tour of Historic UNL (University of Nebraska-Lincoln, UNL Libraries, 2005) Accessed February 24, 2015. http://historicbuildings.unl.edu/building.php?b=12
14. "After a Courthouse. The County Commissioners Commence the Work of Examining Plans--A Large Number of Architects in the Competition," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 22, 1888), 2.
Return to Top of Page
D. Murphy, “Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, February 8, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, June 3, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.