Coolidge & Hodgdon, Architects
Charles Allerton Coolidge (1858-1936)
Charles A. Hodgdon 
Coolidge & Hodgdon is the successor firm of the Chicago office of Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, themselves successor to the practice of Boston architect, Henry Hobson Richardson. Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge were named “official” architects of the University of Nebraska in 1914, and retained that relationship until 1925. Known for their design of educational buildings, the firm is credited with eight such on the two Lincoln campuses of the University of Nebraska.
Lineage of the firm
1886-1914: Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, Boston, Massachusetts.
1892-1930: Coolidge & Hodgdon, Chicago, Illinois.
Buildings & Projects
Dairy Building – Filley Hall (1914), University of Nebraska, East Campus, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Botany and Zoology Building - Bessey Hall (1915), University of Nebraska, City Campus, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Chemistry Building - Avery Hall (1915), University of Nebraska, City Campus, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Agricultural Engineering Building – Chase Hall (1915), University of Nebraska, East Campus, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Teachers College (1916-1917), 14th & S, University of Nebraska, City Campus, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Animal Pathology Buildings – Forestry Hall (1918, 1919), University of Nebraska, East Campus, Lincoln, Nebraska.
2. “Coolidge & Hodgdon (formerly Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge) Architects,” and "Social Sciences Hall (CBA)," both in Kay Logan Peters, An Architectural Tour of Historic UNL, 2005. Accessed February 16, 2016. http://historicbuildings.unl.edu/people.php?peopleID=8&cid=10 and http://historicbuildings.unl.edu/building.php?b=20 respectively.
3. “Charles Allerton Coolidge,” in Doreen Bolger Burke, et al. In Pursuit of Beauty: Americans and the Aesthetic Movement. (New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Rizzoli, 1986), 414. Accessed February 16, 2016, via Google Books. https://books.google.com/books?id=56F8Qv96FzwC&pg=PA414&lpg=PA414&dq=COOLIDGE+%26+HODGDON,+Architects&source=bl&ots=XdYevKCbj4&sig=46DdcOFgg_B4ECz5QBdujNsUI8w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS8bT57v3KAhUB6GMKHdjaAm0Q6AEIQTAG#v=onepage&q=COOLIDGE%20%26%20HODGDON%2C%20Architects&f=false
D. Murphy, “Coolidge & Hodgdon, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, February 16, 2016. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, April 20, 2021.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.