Henry Van Brunt (1832-1903), Architect
Henry Van Brunt was born on September 5, 1832 in Boston, Massachusetts. His parents were Gershom Jacques Van Brunt and Elizabeth Price Bradlee. He spent much of his career as an architect in Massachusetts, but later in his life, he moved his work to Kansas City. He is connected to Nebraska by his involvement in a few Omaha architectural projects, some of which were undertaken by his firm, Van Brunt & Howe. To speak of his personal life, Van Brunt was married to Alice Sterritt Osborn, and he had at least seven children. Van Brunt died in 1903.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Educational & Professional Associations
1850: no profession (living with parents), Boston, Massachusetts.
1870: architect, Boston, Massachusetts.
1880: architect, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
1886-1903: architect and partner, Van Brunt & Howe, Architects, Kansas City, Missouri.
Nebraska Buildings & Projects
Ames Block, Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:1-30)
Union Pacific Commissary Department (1906), 1101 Leavenworth St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0119-002)
Writings & Publications
Wm. A. Coles (editor), Architecture & Society: Selected Essays of Henry Van Brunt (1969).
“Wooden Vaulting,” Henry Van Brunt, American Architect and Building News Vol. 1 (1876), 53-54, 71-72, 87-88.
1. William A. Coles (ed.), Architecture and Society: Selected essays of Henry Van Brunt (Cambridge: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1969).
2. AIA Historical Directory of American Architects: A Resource Guide to Finding Information About Past Architects, accessed August 10, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/ahd1046014.aspx
3. 1850 United States Census, s.v. “Henry Van Brunt,” Boston Ward 6, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
4. 1870 United States Census, s.v. “Henry Vanbrunt,” Boston Ward 6, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
5. 1880 United States Census, s.v. “Henry Van Brunt,” Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
6. 1900 United States Census, s.v. “Henry Van Brunt,” Kansas City Ward 11, Jackson County, Missouri, accessed through AncestryLibrary.com.
Entry in Henry F. Withey, A.I.A., and Elsie Rathburn Withey, Biographical Dictionary of American Architects (Deceased) (Los Angeles: New Age Publishing Company, 1956. Facsimile edition, Hennessey & Ingalls, Inc., 1970).
Entry in Macmillan Encyclopedia of Architects (New York: Macmillan, 1982).
Entry in R. Randall Vosbeck, FAIA, A Legacy of Leadership: Presidents of the AIA, 1857-2007 (Washington, DC: The American Institute of Architects, 2008).
“The Development of Architecture in Kansas City,” The Architectural Record XV:2 (February 1904), 134-157.
D. Murphy, “Henry Van Brunt (1832-1903), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, April 28, 2015. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, October 20, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.