William Milton Fenton (1925-2001), Architect
William Milton Fenton was born in Omaha, Nebraska on February 3, 1925. Before studying architecture, Fenton served in the U.S. Air Force, beginning in 1943. Fenton went on to receive his Bachelor of Arts in Architecture from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln in 1950, at age 25. Five years later, Fenton became a Registered Professional Architect in Nebraska, and in 1962 became the architect and principal of Davis & Wilson, Inc., in Lincoln. He was a member of the Lincoln Building Code Advisory Committee in 1966 and of the Mayor's Parking Committee in Lincoln starting in 1969. In 1969, Fenton started his own firm-– where he was the architect and principal--called Davis Fenton Stange & Darling, in Lincoln, which he operated until his retirement in 1986. Fenton was a member of the Nebraska chapter of the AIA, of which he was Vice President in 1975. For nine years, beginning in 1980, Fenton was an Architect Member on the State Board of Examiners for Engineers and Architects. Fenton retired in 1986, and passed away in Ramona, California on November 14, 2001, at the age of 76.
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1954-1986
Educational & Professional Associations
1943-1965: Major, U.S. Air Force.
1950: B.A. in Architecture, University of Nebraska, Lincoln.
1955: Registered Professional Architect, Nebraska.
1969-1986: architect and principal, Davis Fenton Stange & Darling, Architects & Engineers, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1980-1989: architect member State Board of Examiners for Engineers and Architects.
1986: retires, and moves to California.
Buildings & Projects
Phelps County Hospital (1968), Holdrege, Nebraska.
Wayne High School (1968), Wayne, Nebraska.
Ravenna High School (1968), Ravenna, Nebraska.
Fremont High School (1969), Fremont, Nebraska.
University of Nebraska Faculty Office & Classroom Building (1969), Lincoln, Nebraska.
1. Jim Stange, “Davis Design: Design Excellence since 1912,” Preservation Association of Lincoln, Brown Bag Lecture Series, Museum of Nebraska History, Lincoln, May 13, 2003.
2. Carl Stuart, “Davis/Fenton/Stange/Darling,” Arch@UNL #5 (Spring 1976), 4-5.
3. American Institute of Architects, comp., American Architects Directory, Third Ed. (New York: R. R. Bowker Co., 1970), 270-271, accessed April 4, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/1970%20American%20Architects%20Direct ory.aspx
4. Nebraska Board of Engineers and Architects, Sixty-Third Annual Report (July 1, 2000-June 30, 2001).
5. Lincoln Star (November 17, 2001), 4B:3.
D. Murphy, “William Milton Fenton (1925-2001), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, December 9, 2014. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, July 7, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.