Nebraska Historical Marker: Kregel Windmill Factory
1416 Central Ave, Nebraska City, Otoe County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.676863, -95.863649
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
Built in 1902, this is the last intact historical windmill factory in the United States. Cousins Louis and George Kregel began windmill production in 1879 across the street. After moving here, the company (now owned by George Kregel) produced Eli-brand windmills until 1941. Due to steel rationing at the onset of World War II, the factory became principally a retail and service center in the last decades of the company’s 112-year history. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.