Nebraska Historical Marker: Crounse
Rural Unnamed Rd, Raymond, Lancaster County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.969874, -96.87847
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
Crounse was once a small village named for Lorenzo Crounse, Nebraska Supreme Court justice (1867-73). congressman (1873-77), and governor (1893-95). The village had a school (1870-1962), post office (1873-1901), church, general store, and creamery. Crounse School was the hub of the community. Classes met in homes until a schoolhouse was built on this site in 1873. Activities included picnics, bazaars, 4-H, and ball games. After the school closed in 1962, memories were all that remained of the community.
Elton A. Perkey, “Perkey’s Nebraska Place Names” (1995), Nebraska State Historical Society
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.