Nebraska Historical Marker: Camp Sheridan and Spotted Tail Agency
S 1st St, Hay Springs, Sheridan County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 42.681819, -102.6935
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
About ten miles north are the sites of Spotted Tail Agency and Camp Sheridan. Named for Brule Sioux Chief Spotted Tail, the agency was built in 1874 to supply treaty payments, including food, clothing, weapons, and utensils, under the terms of the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty. The army established Camp Sheridan nearby to protect the agency. A similar arrangement prevailed for the Ogalala Sioux at Red Cloud Agency and Camp Robinson forty miles west. Spotted Tail Agency was generally quiet and peaceful throughout the Indian War of 1876-77. Crazy Horse surrendered there on September 4, 1877, after fleeing Red Cloud Agency. He was stabbed to death the next evening while being imprisoned at Camp Robinson, but his parents returned his body to Camp Sheridan for burial. On October 29, 1877, Spotted Tail's Brules were moved to present South Dakota. In 1878 they occupied the Rosebud Agency, where they live today. Camp Sheridan, with a peak garrison of seven companies of soldiers, was abandoned on May 1, 1881.
Paul L Hedren, “Camp Sheridan, Nebraska: The Uncommonly Quiet Post on Beaver Creek,” Nebraska History 91 (2010): 80-93
Kingsley M Bray, “Spotted Tail and the Treaty of 1868,” Nebraska History 83 (2002): 19-35
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.