NRHP: Standard Oil Company Building of Nebraska
Standard Oil Company Building of Nebraska (Law Building)
NRHP Reference #: 79001443
NRHP Listing Date: 19790824
500 S 18th, Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
The six-story brick and limestone building, commonly known as the Law Building, was designed in 1919 by architects John and Allen McDonald, a local father-and-son team who obtained several important commissions in the Omaha area. The building served as the "flagship" headquarters for the Standard Oil Company (Nebraska) from its construction in 1921/1922 through 1939, the year the company was purchased by Standard Oil Company (Indiana). It is significantly associated with the marketing policies, operations, sales, and management of the company, the preeminent marketer of petroleum products in Nebraska. The building is also significant for associations with Alexander H. Richardson and Henry W. Pierpont, who served key positions and successive terms as president.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.