NRHP: Merrick County Courthouse
Merrick County Courthouse
NRHP Reference #: 89002211
NRHP Listing Date: 19900110
18th bet 15th & 16th Aves, Central City, Merrick County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
At the time of the county's organization, 1858, the nonexistent town of Elvira was designated temporary county seat. The permanent county seat designation eventually fell to Central City. The first courthouse, a two-story brick building, was constructed in 1871. Because of disrepair to the original courthouse voters approved a bond issue in 1911 for a new facility. Construction began that same year and in 1913 the Classical Revival-style courthouse was completed.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.