NRHP: Fort Theater
NRHP Reference #: 06000607
NRHP Listing Date: 20060712
2205 Central Avenue, Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
Located in Kearney, the Fort Theater was designed by Albert Lake, and constructed by F.G. Keens in 1914. When it opened, Keens named the decorative brick theater the Empress. A fire on January 8, 1940, gutted the Empress, but left the main façade of the building intact. After the fire, the building was sold to George and Don Monroe. Following a complete reconstruction, the renamed Fort Theater opened in late summer of 1940. The Fort Theater continued to operate until the mid-1970s. As a result of its long continuous operation, the Fort Theater is significant for its association with the history of entertainment in Kearney.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.