Albert Bert Lake (1877-1960), Architect
Albert Bert Lake was born October 19, 1877 in Missouri, and shows up in Nebraska in 1910 as a railroad car repairman. By 1910 he was in Kearney, Nebraska, working as a house carpenter, and a few years later advertised as an architect there. He continued to work as an architect in Kearney until 1922, when he briefly moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado for a year, then later moved to southern California, where he lived the rest of his life. He was married to Minnie Lake, and had one son, Clyde. Lake died on March 31, 1960 in Los Angeles, California.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Kearney, Nebraska, 1913-1917
Educational & Professional Associations
1900: railroad car repair, Thomas County, Nebraska.
1910: house carpenter, Kearney, Nebraska.
1913-1917: architect, Kearney, Nebraska.
1920: architect, Kearney, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Dr. C.K. Gibbons Residence (1913-1914), 201 West 21st Street, Kearney.  (BF05-299)
A.L. Moore House, (1915), 19th Street & 6th Avenue, Kearney. 
1. 1910 United States Census, s.v. “Albert B. Lake,” Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska, accessed through HeritageQuestOnline.com.
2. 1900 United States Census, s.v. “Albert B. Lake,” Seneca Precinct, Thomas County, Nebraska, accessed through HeritageQuestOnline.com.
3. 1920 United States Census, s.v. “Albert B. Lake,” Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska, accessed through HeritageQuestOnline.com.
4. Ancestry.com. California, Death Index, 1940-1997 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2000.
5. "Albert Bert Lake", Ancestry.com. U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005.
6. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
7. "A.B. (Bert) Lake, Former Resident Here, Finds Many Changes Since 1922," The Kearney Daily Hub (June 28, 1956): 9.
8. "Local News Brevities," The Kearney Daily Hub (April 27, 1915): 5.
9. "To Build Magnificent Home," The Kearney Daily Hub (October 13, 1913): 3.
Return to Top of Page
D. Murphy, “Albert Bert Lake (1877-1960), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, January 29, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, December 5, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.