NRHP: Former Wheeler County Courthouse
Former Wheeler County Courthouse
NRHP Reference #: 89002215
NRHP Listing Date: 19900110
Main bet 2nd & 3rd, Bartlett, Wheeler County, Nebraska
View this property's location
View all NRHP properties on this map.
Located in the Sand Hills, Wheeler County was not established until 1881, when that area became known as a good place for cattle raising. Cedar City was named the temporary county seat. After numerous elections, however, Bartlett became the new county seat in 1886. The first courthouse was a two-story frame building constructed in 1888, but it was destroyed in a fire in 1917. After acquiring the necessary funds a new courthouse was built in 1918.
About the National Register of Historic Places
The National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is the country’s official list of historically significant properties. To be eligible for the NRHP a property must generally retain their historic appearance, be at least 50 years old, and have the potential to be documented as historically or architecturally significant at either the local, state, or national level. The National Register of Historic Places is a National Park Service program administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society for the state of Nebraska. Visit the Nebraska State Historical Society's website to learn more about the program.