Allan & Wallace, Architects
Allan & Wallace, Architects appear as an entity only in selected building permits, listed below. They appear to have been an informal partnership, or perhaps they chose to collaborate on selected buildings. Noel Stanley Wallace listed himself as an employee of James T. Allan in the 1928 City Directory. From 1929-1934 Wallace shared the same office space with Allan in the Brandeis Building. It is during this time that some buildings are designated, by building permit, as the work of Allan & Wallace, Architects. City directories, however, never list the two together in partnership, and Allan never mentions a partnership in his application for registration; in fact, in Allan’s application he takes sole credit for three of the buildings listed below as collaborative works. Wallace moved his office to a new location in 1935, and continued to practice on his own.
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Buildings & Projects
House (1929), 684 N 58th St. Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0438-074)
House (1930), 677 N 56th St. Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0436-007)
Commercial Warehouse (1931), 2669-87 Farnam St. Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0209-028)
House (1931), 711 N 56th St. Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0438-003)
House (1932), 671 N 57th Ave. Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0436-040)
b. Allan takes sole credit for this building in his 1937 application for registration as an architect.
1. Landmarks, Inc, "An Inventory of Historic Omaha Buildings" (Omaha: City of Omaha and Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, 1980), 48.
2. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
3. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
4. Application of James T. Allan for Registration to Practice Professional Engineering or Architecture, Nebraska State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Architects, December 27, 1937. Nebraska State historical Society, RG081, SG2.
D. Murphy, “Allan & Wallace, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, June 27, 2013. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, July 14, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.