William S. Brooks (ca. 1861- ), Architect
William S. Brooks was born in Virginia ca. 1861. He practiced carpentry in St. Paul, Minnesota before moving to Nebraska to work as an architect and builder. He also lived in San Diego, California and Nashville, Tennessee.
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
St. Paul, Minnesota, 1884
Omaha, Nebraska, 1893-1908
San Diego, California, 1917
Nashville, Tennessee, 1949
Educational & Professional Associations
1884: carpenter, St. Paul, Minnesota.
1891-1893: carpenter, Omaha, Nebraska.[a]
1893: architect and partner, Brooks & Kruse, Omaha, Nebraska.
No 1894 directory.
No 1895 directory.
1896-1905: architect and builder, 1610 Capitol Avenue, Omaha, Nebraska.
No 1906 directory.
1907-1908: architect/contractor/builder, 1609 Davenport, Omaha, Nebraska.[b]
1909: architect, Omaha, Nebraska.
1910: real estate agent, Omaha, Nebraska.
1917: carpenter, San Diego, California.
1920: house carpenter, Omaha, Nebraska.
1949: carpenter, Nashville, Tennessee.
Buildings & Projects
Commercial Building (1908), 1410 Howard St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0121-043)
a. First directory listing in Omaha, Nebraska, 1891.
b. Last directory listing in Omaha, Nebraska, 1908.
1. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
2. 1900 United States Census, s.v. “William S. Brooks,” Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska, accessed through Ancestry.com.
3. 1910 United States Census, s.v. “William S. Brooks,” Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska, accessed through Ancestry.com.
4. 1920 United States Census, s.v. “William S. Brooks,” Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska, accessed through Ancestry.com.
5. Hendricks' commercial register of the United States (New York: S. E. Hendricks Co., 1891-1900), 22. Accessed October 10, 2018 via https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015055430030;view=1up;seq=136
D. Murphy, “William S. Brooks (ca. 1861- ), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, September 9, 2014. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, October 19, 2019.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.