William Emerson Sype (1901-1968), Architect
William Emerson Sype was born December 27, 1901 in Omaha, Nebraska. He attended the University of Nebraska and went on to have a long career in architecture with various firms. He was married to Catherine Flynn. Sype died August 10, 1968.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1931, 1938-1939, 1940-1941, 1949, 1952-1956
Educational & Professional Associations
1906-1918: student, Omaha Public Schools, Omaha, Nebraska.
1918-1921: student, University of Nebraska, Fine Arts.
1929: architect, NW Ready Roofing Co, Omaha, Nebraska.
1929-1936: architecture practice in Omaha, Nebraska.
1932: architect and partner, Daley & Sype, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
No 1933 directory.
1934-1939: architect, Omaha, Nebraska.
1935-1936: Regional Architect-Resettlement Administration.
1937: Registered Professional Architect, Nebraska, December 28, 1937, A-26.
1940-1949: not listed, Omaha, Nebraska.
No 1950 directory.
1951-1954: associate and architect, Cecil A. Martin, Omaha, Nebraska.
1955-1956: architect, Omaha, Nebraska.
1955-19__ : Stoffel & Sype. Architect-Engineers.
1957-1959: not listed, Omaha, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
House (1931), 2052 N. 53rd St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0444-137)
House (1934), 2527 N. 53rd St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0446-080)
Val Kuska residence (1937), 6852 Bethany Park Dr., Lincoln, Nebraska.
House (1940), 2708 Country Club Ave., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0446-093)
Building (1940), 5224 Corby Street, Omaha, Nebraska.
Building (1940), 5228 Corby Street, Omaha, Nebraska.
Building (1940), 5232 Corby Street, Omaha, Nebraska.
House (1941), 2022 N. 53rd St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0444-130)
Last registered 1968.
1. William E. Sype, Architect, Val Kuska Residence Architectural working drawings, State Architectural Archive, Nebraska State Historical Society.
2. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
3. American Institute of Architects, comp., American Architects Directory First Ed. (New York: R. R. Bowker Co., 1956), 549, accessed March 3, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/1956%20American%20Architects%20Directory.aspx
4. “Sype,” Omaha World Herald (January 16, 1972), 17D: 5.
5. Application for Registration to Practice Professional Engineering and Architecture, Nebraska State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Architects, November 1, 1937. Nebraska State Historical Society RG081 SG2.
D. Murphy, “William Emerson Sype (1901-1968), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, March 19, 2015. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, February 17, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.