W. H. Alford, Architect
W. H. Alford was a draftsman and office manager in Isaac Hodgson, Jr.’s Omaha architectural office in 1891. He then opened his own practice there in 1892. He disappeared from the Omaha scene in 1894.
By 1903 Alford became a partner in Weary & Alford Company, Chicago, which specialized in bank building. Edwin D. Weary, founder and president, in association with W. H. Alford, incorporated the company in 1903. They employed an “efficient corps of designers and draftsmen specially trained along the technical lines involved in the design and execution of bank and office buildings and bank interiors, with complete departments of structural, mechanical and vault engineering.” By 1915 the architectural department was “under the supervision of Oscar Wenderoth, formerly supervising architect for the government and for many years connected with the firm of Carrere & Hastings of New York, while many intricate problems involved in the design and execution of bank interior work [were] under the direct supervision of E. D. Weary, Mr. Alford, E. F. Weary and R. D. Weary.” The firm had a nationwide practice.[3:280]
This page is a contribution to the publication, Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. See the Format and contents of Nebraska architect entries page for more information on the compilation and page organization.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1892
Educational & Professional Associations
1892-1893: architect, Omaha, Nebraska.[b]
1903: architect and partner, Weary & Alford Company, bank architects, Chicago, Illinois.
Buildings & Projects
a. His first listing in Omaha directories is 1891. He is also listed as manager of Hodgson’s office in Hodgson’s 1891 personal listing. Note that Hodgson also spent time in Portland, Oregon that year.
b. His last listing in Omaha directories was 1893.
1. Isaac Hodgson Jr. Architectural Papers (1891), Mss 3055, Oregon Historical Society Research Library. http://nwda-db.wsulibs.wsu.edu/nwda-search/fstyle.aspx?doc=OHYMSS3055.xml&t=k&q= Accessed August 15, 2012.
2. "Omaha Daily Bee" (June 12, 1891): 7:1. Online: "Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers". Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn99021999/1891-06-12/ed-1/seq-7/>
3. “Chicago Bank Architects Enlarge Their Quarters,” "The Bankers Magazine" 99:2 (August 1919): 278, 280. Google Books Online: http://books.google.com/books?id=EXk9AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA280&lpg=PA280&dq=%22W+H+ALFORD%22+ARCHITECT&source=bl&ots=nTyPd_WfPm&sig=N6YB9bixSJvFX5yySYTLQhy3ca8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VgHKUYTUAsXCyAHg7ICIDg&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=%22W%20H%20ALFORD%22%20ARCHITECT&f=false Accessed June 25, 2013.
D. Murphy, “W. H. Alford, Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, June 25, 2013. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, August 11, 2022.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.