Sidney Willson Campbell (1918-1985), Architect
Sidney Willson Campbell was born on July 22, 1918 to Maude and Alva W. Campbell of Lincoln, Nebraska. He received his BA in Architecture from the University of Nebraska in 1940, where he was President of the Student Architect Society. Campbell continued his architectural education in 1948, and in that same year received the AIA Medal. A hobby of Campbell’s was foreign travel, where he visited placed such as China, Japan and the Philippine Islands. He was a practicing architect in Lincoln for about twenty years, starting at the firm Davis & Wilson, and later working at such firms as Unthank & Unthank, where he was chief designer for six years, and Hull & Campbell, as partner. He was married to Dorothy Alderson Hobbs in 1970. Sidney Campbell died on February 16, 1985.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1954-1976
Educational & Professional Associations
1940: BA, architecture, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1940: President, Student Architect Society.
1944-1946: lieutenant, marine corps, Guam & Pacific, WWII.
1948: University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Honors and Awards
1948: American Institute of Architects Award, UNL Arch. Dept. 
b. Special Thanks to architectural historian Catherine Cramer, Tucson, Arizona for References 3, 4, & 5.
c. Award for “ideas concerning decorating and furnishing a recreation room” 
1. American Institute of Architects, comp., American Architects Directory, First Ed. (New York: R. R. Bowker Co., 1956), 81, accessed March 3, 2010, http://communities.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/1956%20American%20Architects%20Directory.aspx
2. “Lincolnites Win Concrete Masonry House Plan Competition” Lincoln Journal Star (September 6, 1953), 5A.
3. “Sidney Campbell Wins Home Contest Prize” The Lincoln Star (April 16, 1947), 10.
4. Lincoln Journal Star (May 1, 1948), 6.
5. “Heard Today” Lincoln Journal Star (June 20, 1946), 9.
6. "Sidney Wilson Campbell" Findagrave.com Accessed May 9, 2018 via https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/69099614
D. Murphy, “Sidney Willson Campbell (1918-1985), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, May 9, 2018. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, July 10, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.