Patrick Joseph Creedon (1845-1931), Architect-Builder
DBA: P. J. Creedon
Patrick Joseph Creedon was born in Cork, Ireland on March 17, 1845. He was married to Margaret, who died in 1887. They had a son, Edward, who died January 1, 1889, while a student at Creighton University. P. J. Creedon died in Omaha on July 31, 1931.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1886-1897, 1906-1910
Educational & Professional Associations
1886-1893 : architect and builder, Omaha, Nebraska.[d]
1888-1889: architect and partner, Creedon & Berlinghof, Omaha, Nebraska.
1890-1893: architect and builder, firm not listed, Omaha, Nebraska.
ca. 1890: architect and partner, Bell, Creedon & Berlinghof, Omaha, Nebraska.
1894-1895: no directory.
1896-1898: architect, 525 Paxton Blk, Omaha, Nebraska.
1899: no directory.
1900: architect and partner, Creedon & Linahan, Architects, Omaha, Nebraska.
1901: contractor, Omaha, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
Kuncl-Hruska House (1887), 1732 S. 15th St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0115-024)
Duchesne Academy (1887), 3601 Burt St., Omaha Nebraska.[f] (DO09:0323-003)
Building (1894), 2407 Cuming St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0215-008)
St. Claire Franciscan Monastery (1901), 1302-24 N. 29th St., Omaha, Nebraska.[h] (DO09:0217-003)
Flat (1907), 3307 Burt St., Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0214-010)
b. Plans were drawn but it was not built.
c. Drew the plans and started construction, with Creedon as both the architect and builder, but the house was not completed.
d. First Omaha directory listing, 1886.
e. Last Omaha directory listing, 1913.
f. Multiple buildings, multiple architects in NEHBS.
g. Creedon designed the original church in 1887, and Jacob M. (James) Nachtigall (1874-1947), Architect added the transepts and the apse in 1923. The steeple of the east tower (to the right in the photographs) was built in 1976. Creedon's original design included a lantern or belfry, which would have been located between the existing clock and the spire (see the newspaper ad above).
h. Three architects listed in the Omaha Architect’s database.
1. Landmarks, Inc., An Inventory of Historic Omaha Buildings (Omaha: Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, 1980).
2. Penelope Chatfield, Daniel Kidd, and D. Murphy, “Old Market Historic District,” National Register of Historic Places, Inventory-Nomination Form (Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, January 1979).
3. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
4. “The Courts,” Omaha Bee (August 15, 1889), 5.
5. “St. John’s Parish,” Creighton University website, accessed August 15, 2013, http://www.creighton.edu/ministry/stjohns/ourbuilding/history/index.php
6. “Patrick Joseph Creedon,” Find a Grave website, October 30, 2012: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=creedon&GSfn=p&GSmn=j&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=99864419&df=all& Accessed August 15, 2013. See also “ Edward Creedon,” October 23, 2012. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=99435311 Accessed August 15, 2013.
“P. J. Creedon, Architect and Builder,” [adv.] Omaha Bee (December 1, 1892), 5.
Dennis N. Mihelich, The History of Creighton University: 1878-2003 (Omaha: Creighton University Press, 2006).
D. Murphy, “Patrick Joseph Creedon (1845-1931), Architect-Builder,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, November 18, 2014. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, March 31, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.