Otis H. Placey (ca. 1829-1892), Architect
Otis H. Placey was born in New York, circa 1829, to Peter and Laura Placey. He worked as a cabinetmaker before beginning his practice of architecture in Aurora, Illinois in the mid-1860s. He worked from Chicago for nearly two decades before moving to Lincoln, Nebraska in 1885.[a] Placey was one of the architects credited with rebuilding Chicago after the devastating fire of October 8-9, 1871. He also signed an American Meteorological Society petition that pushed the adoption of the metric system of Measures and Length, by July 4, 1876, provided that a majority of architects in the five largest U.S. cities agreed. In Chicago and in Lincoln, Placey was involved with several short-lived partnerships. His first wife's name was Mary, and they had four children. Mary E. Placey died in 1888 and later that year O. H. married Mrs. Olive Y. Kenyon in Lincoln, Nebraska, who petitioned for a divorce in 1890.[4:122][i][m] Otis Placey died April 10, 1892, in a "runaway accident" at Palisades, Nebraska, where he was an Adventist preacher.[f]
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Lincoln, Nebraska, 1887-1891
Educational & Professional Associations
1860: cabinetmaker residing in Rockford, Illinois.
1864: "architect &c" residing and practicing in Aurora, Illinois.
1870: residing in Aurora, Illinois.
1880: residing in Waukegan, Illinois.
1885-1891: architect, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1885-1886: architect and partner, Gray & Placey, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1889: "architect and heating and ventilating engineer," Lincoln, Nebraska.
1891: architect and partner, Placey & Cordner, Architects, Lincoln, Nebraska.
1892: Adventist preacher, Palisades, Nebraska.
Buildings & Projects
1864-1867, Aurora, Illinois
West Side School (1867), Batavia, Illinois.
1867-1885, Chicago, Illinois
School house (1871), Newton, Iowa.
Plans for a "family hotel" for E. W. Griffin (1872), North Dearborn Street, Chicago, Illinois.
Two dwellings for Dr. Freer (1872), Ontario Street, Chicago, Illinois.
Block of two stores for Calvin DeWolf (1872), Madison Street, Chicago, Illinois.
Fraser Building (1872), Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois.
Block of five stores for W. S. Harding (1872), Indiana Avenue and 22nd Street, Chicago, Illinois.
Four dwellings for E. W. Griffin (1872), Ontarior Street, Chicago, Illinois.
Second Ward school-house (ca. 1874), Sterling, Illinois. (cost $40,000)
Adams County Courthouse (ca. 1876), Quincy, Illinois.
Shelby County Courthouse (1880-1881), Shelbyville, Illinois.
Proposal for Tippecanoe County Courthouse (1880-1881), Lafayette, Indiana.
Waupaca County Courthouse (1881), Waupaca, Wisconsin.
Building for P. Humiston (1883), 665-667 W Lake, Chicago, Illinois.
Building for M. G. Colson (1883), 235 Western Ave, Chicago, Illinois.
J. Rogerson house (1883), 309 W Monroe, Chicago, Illinois.
Residence for M. C. Callahan (before 1884), Chicago, Illinois. (cost $6,000)
Residence for I. M. Harne (before 1884), Chicago, Illinois. (cost $6,000)
School house (before 1884), Aurora, Illinois. (cost $30,000)
High school (before 1884), Streater, Illinois. (cost $32,000)
School house (before 1884), Vinton, Iowa. (cost $34,700)
School house (before 1884), Liskilwa, Illinois.[26} (cost $28,000)
Proposal for Pettis County court house (1884), Sedalia, Missouri.
Proposal for county jail (1884), Rochester, New York.
1885-1886, Lincoln, Nebraska
Placey partnered with William S. Gray for approximately one year upon Placey's arrival in Lincoln. See Gray & Placey, Architects for their projects, including York County Courthouse, their major joint work.
1886-1892, Lincoln, Nebraska
Four houses for S. Davenport (1886), Lincoln, Nebraska.
House for J. Z. Briscoe (1886), 1645 Locust (now SW corner 17th & Prospect), Lincoln, Nebraska.
House for Rev. Lewis Gregory (1886), 1230 L, Lincoln, Nebraska.
House for George B. Chapman (1886), 1345 T, Lincoln, Nebraska.
18th & Q School (1886), (later Bryant Elementary School), Lincoln, Nebraska.
11th & C School (1887), (later Everett Elementary School), Lincoln, Nebraska.
A school building in East Lincoln (1887), Lincoln, Nebraska.
A school building in South Lincoln (1887), Lincoln, Nebraska.
School house (1888), Waverly, Nebraska.
1891, Lincoln, Nebraska
a. Census and other records indicate Placey resided in Aurora, west of Chicago, by 1864, and at least as late at 1870. He is first listed in Chicago directories in 1867, with Chicago addresses of both his office and his residence. Probably he maintained his family home in Aurora. In 1867 he was in partnership with David W. Storrs as Placey & Storrs; by 1869 and 1870, Placey is listed alone; then in 1871 he was in a new partnership as Placey & Armstrong (presumably John M. Armstrong). A "Dissolution Notice" in Chicago Tribune of February 14, 1872 announced: "The copartnership existing under the name of Placey & Armstrong, Architects is this day dissolved by mutual consent. O. H. PLACEY will continue the business at 417 State st. Mr. Placey has been in Chicago four years, and we can recommend him to all as a practical Architect,, and all who wish plans and specifications that will carry them through without extra work will do well to call on him. Feb. 13, 1872." Throughout his career, Placey formed several short-lived partnerships.
b. Architects of record, Gray & Placey. Formerly listed in the National Register of Historic Places, since demolished.
c. In April of 1889,Nebraska State Journal described that "The African M.E. people of this city will soon be worshining in a new church. The plans have been drawn by Architect Placey. The house will be almost as fine as the best of the suburban churches and architecturally will be as neat as any in the city. The plans call for a building 68x50 feet in size, with two handsome towers, the largest eighty feet in height. The material is pressed brick. The windows are to be of stained glass, and everything going with a first class church will be put in. The pulpit will be flanked by a pastor's study and a choir room, and at the opposite end of the house will be a commodious gallery. The seating capacity of the housse [sic] will not be less than 400. The cost will be $7,000." Quinn Chapel AME Church owned this building for a decade, then moved one block north to a converted residential building at 1028 F. The congregation built a new church on that site in 1905, then relocated the building to the southwest corner of 9th & C Streets (845 C) in 1915. Their original church on E Street was listed as "1st United Evangelical Church" on the 1903 Sanborn atlas of Lincoln, then "The 1st Church of the Nazarene" on the 1928 Sanborn atlas. According to Lincoln City Directories, the Nazarene church still occupied the structure in 1939, but it was not listed by 1940. In 1948 a 5-unit residence was built on the site.
e. A January 1, 1888 newspaper account of the very active Lincoln building community includes mention of Placey as designer of "the new court house now being erected at Chadron, Neb." A second article in the same edition lists J. V. Consaul as "now putting up a neat court house at Chadron, Dawes County."
f. Nebraska State Journal of June 5, 1887 listed the preachers for Sunday's services at West Lincoln Christian Church as "O. H. Placey and James Hope." Evening News of Lincoln, Nebraska, reported on April 12, 1892 "O. H. Placey, formerly an architect of this city, was fatally injured in a runaway accident at Palisades, Neb., Sunday. Placey was also a preacher of the Advent Christian denomination, and had charge of a church at Palisades." Nebraska State Journal mentioned that "Deceased was until two months since an architect in this city, but left to re-enter the ministry at Palisades, taking charge of the Advent Christian denomination in that place."
g. Chicago Tribune of January 1, 1879 carried a brief notice under the heading "Burlington Marble Company": "The new residence of Wilbur F. Storey, of the Chicago Times, is to be of white Vermont marble, and the Burlington Marble Company have closed the largest contract for that kind of marble ever let in the West or west of New York. O. H. Placey is the architect of the new building."
Soon after Placey's arrival in Lincoln, Nebraska State Journal introduced Placey as "The architect who prepared the plans for that magnificent marble structure on Grand Boulevard, Chicago, which the late Wilbur F. Storey of the Times designed for his own palatial residence..."
h. The Inter Ocean newspaper of Chicago published a correction in 1885: "Architect O. H. Placey, through erroneous information, was not mentioned in connection with one of his latest designs, a fine new school-house at Napierville, Illinois. In his absence the work was superintended by architect M. L. Beers."
i. Placey advertised among Minneapolis architects in September and October of 1881, listing his office as 255 Hennepin. Placey continued to be listed in Chicago directories in the early 1880s and was not listed in Minneapolis directories of 1881 and 1882, so his testing of the Minneapolis market appears to be very brief. He seems to have placed his office squarely in the midst of his Minneapolis architectural colleagues, as over a quarter (seven of 26) of the architects listed in 1882 in that city's business directory had addresses between the 200 and 400 blocks of Hennepin. Cooke & Record, architects, had an office at 255 Hennepin according to the 1881 directory, but not in the 1882 edition. There is no other indication Placey had a connection with that firm, nor are there any Minneapolis projects by him currently known. At the same period that Placey was advertising a Minneapolis office, a Chicago newspaper listed a suit for divorce as "Otis Placey vs Elizabeth Placey. Bill for divorce for adultery." Perhaps Placey explored changes in his professional life accompanying disruptions in his personal life. Apparently Placey and his wife reconciled, as a Lincoln newspaper reported in 1888 "Died. Placey--Mary E., wife of O. H. Placey, this morning, January 5, 1888...at her home, 920 South Fifteenth street, age forty five years."
j. Lincoln Evening Call of August 4, 1886 noted that "Rev. Lewis Gregory, pastor of the Congregational church, has the plans completed for a $6,000 residence. O. H. Placey is the architect. The building will be one of the handsomest and most complete in its appointments in the city. It will be erected on the parsonage lot on Thirteenth street. The building will be of pressed brick, with stone trimmings and slate roof, and will not be complete until sometime next spring. Mr. Placey is also the architect of the new court house at York."
k. Daily State Journal mentioned on March 23, 1887 that "The trustees of the Wesleyan university of Nebraska met in St. Paul's church last night to consider plans for the building. Architects Ellis of Omaha and Placey of Lincoln presented designs and explained them fully to the board. Other competing architects will appear this morning, and it is hoped that a decision will be reached today."[41
l. "Nebraska State Journal" of October 13, 1887 commented upon the many "notices of new church buildings" being published in Lincoln newspapers, then added "The Christian denomination has long been preparing to build and has secured ground on K street, near the capitol. Architect Placey has submitted drawings that meet the approbation of the society and it is hoped to begin work before the close of the year. The designs call for an imposing building of Milwaukee brick, with high walls and gables and a majestic spire. The cost will be over $35,000."#References|]]
m. A brief note in the Nebraska State Journal of November 23, 1887 pointed out that "Miss Ida Mudelle, whose very clever presentation of the part of Angie Gordon in the play 'The Planter's Wife' at the People's theatre last night made such a good impression, can be claimed as a Lincoln girl. She is the daughter of O. H. Placey, the architect, and for the past two years has spent part of her vacations in this city." Ida Placey is listed as architect Placey's daughter in several census rosters, born circa 1860.
n. In February 1888, at least thirteen architects vied for the commission to design Lancaster County Commissioners. Nebraska-based architects included Ellis, Mendelssohn, Fisher & Lawrie, Hodgson & Son, Architects of Omaha; and Placey, James Tyler, Hawkins, and Gray of Lincoln.
o. The Lincoln News of April 7, 1888 reported that the board of trustees of "Christian University" was examining plans submitted by "Architects Gray and Placey of this city," two years after that partnership announced itself dissolved. A lengthy interview with Placey about the design, published February 17, 1889, makes no mention of Gray.
p. Nebraska State Journal of April 10, 1889 described efforts by "Several solicitors...at work endeavoring to secure pledges from property owners in the neighborhood of O and Fifteenth that will justify the Modern Woodment to go ahead with the construction of their proposed opera house. The front of the house has been drawn by Architect Placey." Additional description is given of a four-story stone building with 84 feet of frontage, allowing eight-foot alleys on each side for quick exiting. Considerable description of the plans available in Placey's office is provided in Nebraska State Journal of April 38, 1889. A brief note in Nebraska State Journal of May 14, 1889 indicates the project was abandoned in the face of completion from other venues under construction.
q. A lengthy article in the June 26, 1889 edition of Nebraska State Journal describes a "New and Elaborate...Exposition Building...similar to the fair building in Chicago." J. J. Imhoff had just taken out a permit for a site at 12th & N, and "Plans have already been drawn by O. H. Placey for the erection of the structure." The description matches the Herpolsheimer Dept. Store built on the SW corner of that intersection in 1890, except Imhoff's scheme was that "The building will be occupied by a vast merchandise emporium operated by four or five different parties," where Herpolsheimer instead opened Lincoln's first department store. The "fair building in Chicago" may have been the Interstate Exposition Building which opened in 1873 and operated for 19 successive annual displays. See https://chicagology.com/rebuilding/rebuilding016/ Accessed December 23, 2017. A lawsuit in 1890 between Imhoff and Herpolsheimer suggests the building evolved in the process of development. Imhoff contended that he agreed to build and lease to Herpolsheimer a single-story building, which was estimated to cost about $21,000 to construct, but subsequently modified the project to build a two-story structure at a cost of $61,877.79. At issue were the terms of the contract and lease between the parties, but Placey's involvement as architect is further documented by the report on the lawsuit, and by a second suit by Placey against Herpolsheimer for his architectural fees.
s. The Lincoln board of education held multiple sessions in 1890 to receive presentations from numerous architects on a proposed high school. Nebraska-based architects listed included Omahans Fowler & Beindorf and F. E. Ellis; Lincolnites Placey, Gray, Fiske , and Craddock & Hay; and Bailey & Farmer of Kearney. Out-of-state architects cited were Seymour Davis (Topeka), Maxon & Bourgeois (Council Bluffs, Iowa, Palister & Company (New York), and R. C. Kerr & Co. of Rock Island. Plans selected for further consideration were those of Gray, Beindorf, Maxon, Davis, Placey, and Farmer. Parsons of Topeka was given extra time to submit his plans.
t. The Lincoln Evening News of April 4, 1890 reprinted a pair of letters "printed in a recent issue of the Dallas (Tex.) Times-Herald,...[which] will prove interesting to one Lincoln man at least." The first letter, attributed to Placey, addresses an offer to a county judge in Dallas to share half of his fee for the judge's assistance in securing the commission to design a $200,000 courthouse in Dallas. The second is the judge's indignant reply of refusal. The letter from New York native "Placey" oddly claims to have built extensively in the south "being a native-born southerner." The authenticity of the correspondence is unknown, but it seems apparent that the Lincoln Evening News was eager to embarrass him.
u. Placey was one of fifteen architects submitting proposals to Jefferson County commissioners for a courthouse in Fairbury, Nebraska. The selection process took a novel turn when the chairman of the county board, another of the commissioners, and the chosen architect, G. W. McDonald of Fremont, were arrested by the county sheriff a few minutes after the selection. The third commissioner had sworn out a complaint that the selection was based on bribery by McDonald. McDonald and the commissioners plead guilty and were fined.
v. Placey submitted plans to the Utah "Capitol Grounds Commission" for a territorial capitol, as did Geo. F. Hammond of Boston and Cleveland, E. E. Meyers of Detroit, and T. O. Angell of Salt Lake City. A report of March 6, 1890 indicated "Judging from the remarks of members of the Assembly the plan submitted by Mr. Placey gives the greatest satisfaction. The building will cover an area of 21,000 feet. The cost of erection will be $1,000,000." Ultimately, Meyers was selected but his plan was set aside when the estimated $1 million cost proved infeasible. Utah still lacked a capitol upon statehood in 1896; the present Capitol designed by Richard F. A. Kletting was constructed between 1912 and 1916. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Capitol Accessed December 25, 2017.
1. Oliver B. Pollak, Nebraska Courthouses: Contention, Compromise, and Community [Images of America Series] (Chicago: Arcadia Publishing, 2002). [725.1.P771n]
2. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
3. “George W. Shaffer, Architect,” Nebraska State Historical Society Collection, MS4243/RG4258.
4. Industrial Chicago: The Building Interests Vol. 1 (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1891), accessed August 2, 2012, http://libsysdigi.library.uiuc.edu/oca/Books2008-03/industrialchicag/industrialchicag01good/industrialchicag01good.pdf
5. Benjamin L. Ross, “Tippecanoe County Courthouse,” August 2002. Benjamin L. Ross website, http://b-levi.com/research/arch/e_max/courthouse.php Accessed August 8, 2012.
6. American Architect & Building News XIV: 401 (September 1, 1883), 108.
7. American Architect & Building News XIV: 404 (September 22, 1883), 143.
8. American Architect & Building News XIV: 404 (November 17, 1883), 239.
9. "73-year-old Shelby County Courthouse Built Solid, Stays that Way," Decatur (Illinois) Herald and Review (March 1, 1953), 52; Julie A. Elbert, Shelby County [Images of America] (Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Publishing, 2010), 9, 13.
10. Kathryn E. Colwell (Hill), “African American Historic and Architectural Resources in Lincoln, Nebraska,” National Register of Historic Places: Multiple Property Documentation Form (Lincoln, NE: City of Lincoln-Lancaster County Planning Department, March 12, 1999), E-9, accessed August 8, 2012, http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/64500386.pdf
11. Proceedings of the American Meteorological Society 1 (December 1873-May, 1878). (New York: American meteorological Society, 1880), 43, 45, accessed August 8, 2012 through Google Books, http://books.google.com/books?id=DKhPAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=%22o+h+placey%22+architect&source=bl&ots=gTaj4ysLg9&sig=qijrJMR-h7V_7B4dRw6W417qFCo&hl=en#v=onepage&q=%22o%20h%20placey%22%20architect&f=false
12. 1880 United States Cenusus, s.v. “Otis H. Placey,” Waukegan, Lake County, Illinois, [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. 1880 U.S. Census Index provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints © Copyright 1999 Intellectual Reserve, Inc.
13. Evening News (Lincoln, Nebraska), (April 12, 1892); also reprinted in "Thirty Years Ago Today," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal, (April 11, 1922); "Killed in a Runaway. Rev. O. H. Placey, Formerly of Lincoln Meets Death in Palisades," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 12, 1892), 3.
14. Kathryn E. Colwell (Hill), "Identifying Cultural Resources: A Case Study of African American Historic Landmarks in Lincoln, Nebraska," Master of Community & Regional Planning thesis, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1999, 61-67.
15. City of Lincoln Building Permit 49069, 1948.
16. Chicago city directories, 1866, 1868-1871, 1871, 1875, 1880, 1885. The Newberry Library, ChicagoAncestors.org. Accessed June 22, 2016 http://www.chicagoancestors.org/#tab-tools and Ancestry.com; accessed December 21, 2017 https://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2469
17. "Hung to His Small Change," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 28, 1890), 7:4; "What Divorce Courts Do. Make People Talk About Each Other. Otis H. Placey Replies to His Wife's Recent Petition for a Legal Separation From Him," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 31, 1890), 7.
18. "A Good Showing. The Record of Mr. O. H. Placey as a First Class Architect" and "Large and Many Contracts. All Faithfully Fulfilled," [account of 1886-1887 work of contractor J. V. Consaul], (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (January 1, 1888), 8.
19. 1870 United States Federal Census [database on-line], s.v. "O. H. Placey," Aurora, Kane County, Illinois. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009.
20. "Dissolution Notices," Chicago Tribune (February 14, 1872), 5.
21. "New Chicago. Another Week of Exceeding Activity in the Burnt District...Miscellaneous New Building Projects...," Chicago Tribune (May 12, 1872), 5.
22. "To Rent--To Hotel Keepers," Chicago Tribune (April 23, 1872), 6.
23. "Sterling, Ill. A Lively City in the Rock River Valley. Its Manufacturing Enterprise and Educational Facilities...," Chicago Tribune (September 5, 1874), 11.
24. "Burlington Marble Company," Chicago Tribune (January 1, 1879), 16.
25. "Buildings. Newest Chicago Work," (Chicago, Illinois) Inter Ocean (January 17, 1885), 7.
26. "Builders and Brokers...A round of the Architects and Contractors' Offices Pans Out Fairly Well," (Chicago, Illinois) Inter Ocean (March 28, 1885), 7.
27. "Notice to Contractors," Des Moines (Iowa) Register (April 5, 1871), 4.
28. "Notice to Contractors and Builders!" Oshkosh (Wisconsin) Northwestern (June 28, 1881), 4.
29. "The New Court House. Architects' Designs for the Structure--The County Court Soon to Make a Choice," Sedalia (Missouri) Weekly Bazoo (January 22, 1884), 6.
30. "The Regular Board. Proceedings of the Morning's Session of the Board of Supervisors," (Rochester, New York) Democrat and Chronicle (November 13, 1884), 6.
31. "This Day of Rest. Announcements for Its Appropriate Observance..."Announcements. West Lincoln Christian chapel," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 5, 1887), 7.
32. "Lafayette...A Row among Court-House Architects...," Cincinnati Enquirer (March 16, 1880), 1.
33. "Architects," (Minneapolis) Star Tribune (September 22, 1881), 8.
34. "Superior [Court]. New Suits," (Chicago) Inter Ocean (November 11, 1881), 6.
35. "Stood Solid with Storey. An Able Architect Who Planned the Great Editor's Famous Mansion," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 6, 1886), 8.
36. Ancestry.com. 1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. s.v. "Otis Placey." Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
37. Ancestry.com. U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 [database on-line]. s.v. "O. H. Placey." Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
38. Ancestry.com. Nebraska, Marriage Records, 1855-1908 [database on-line]. s.v. "Otis H. Placey." Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2017.
39. "West Side School," vignette on "Bird's eye view of Batavia, Kane County, Illinois, 1869" (Chicago: Chicago Lithographing Company, 1869), available on-line through Library of Congress at https://lccn.loc.gov/73693342, accessed December 22, 2017. See also "Public School Building Batavia, Ill. O. H. Placey Architect Aurora Ill.," from Library of Congress, on-line by Ancestry.com. U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 [database on-line]. s.v. "O. H. Placey." Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/1127/31617_072109-00964?pid=2724844&backurl=https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D1127%26h%3D2724844%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DzsD52%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=zsD52&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true Accessed December 22, 2017.
40. Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (August 4, 1886), 4.
41. (Lincoln, Nebraska) Daily State Journal (March 23, 1887), 2.
42. (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (October 13, 1887), 5.
43. Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (January 5, 1888), 4.
44. "After a Courthouse. The County Commissioners Commence the Work of Examining Plans--A Large Number of Architects in the Competition," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (February 22, 1888), 2.
45. "The Christian University," Lincoln (Nebraska) News (April 7, 1888), 10; "The Christian University Building...A Talk with the Architect on the Design and Interior Arrangement of the Building--Heating and Ventilation," (Lincoln, Nebraska) Daily Call (February 17, 1889), 4.
46. "Dissolutions," (Lincoln, Nebraska) Daily State Journal (July 1, 1886), 7.
47. Lincoln (Nebraska) News (June 11, 1888), 4.
48. Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (April 10, 1889), 5.
49. "The Busy Woodmen Want an Opera House of Their Own. Hard Work Under Way to Secure a New Building on the Corner of Fifteenth and O. The Plan of the Building Already Agreed Upon," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 10, 1889), 8; "The Grand Opera House," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 28, 1889), 5; (Lincoln} Nebraska State Journal (May 14, 1889), 7.
50. "A New Church," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (April 28, 1889), 3.
51. "An Exposition Building. Something New and Elaborate for Lincoln. The Chicago Fair Building the Model for the Proposed Structure. A Grand Merchandise Emporium," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (June 26, 1889), 5; "Important Damage Suit. J. J. Imhoff Asks Heavy Damages From Herplsheimer & Co.," Lincoln (Nebraska) Daily Call (April 25, 1890), 1; "Wants His Fees," Lincoln (Nebraska) Daily Call (May 6, 1890), 1.
52. "Notice to Building Contractors--Court House to Let," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (August 6, 1889), 3.
53. "A Magnificent Edifice. Central Church of Christ, Fourteenth and K Streets, Lincoln, Nebraska. Tomorrow's Dedication," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (August 24, 1889), 4. With perspective illustration.
54. "Board of Education. Regular Monthly Meeting Last Night--Plans for the New Building in Northeast Lincoln," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (March 4, 1890), 6.
55. "Help School Plans. The Board of Education Gives Audience to a Dozen Architects," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (March 27, 1890), 1.
56. "Under the Dome," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening News (April 4, 1890), 4.
57. "A Sensational Arrest," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (July 15, 1890), 1; "Pen, Paste and Scissors," Lincoln (Nebraska) Evening Call (October 9, 1890), 5; "Not a Profitable Investment. The One Made by Architect McDonald. He Petitions the Governor for the Remission of the Fine Inflicted Upon Him for Bribery," (Lincoln) Nebraska State Journal (December 30, 1890), 6.
58. "The Capitol Hill Commission," Salt Lake Herald (Salt Lake City, Utah) (December 3, 1890), 8; "The Legislature...Joint Session," Deseret Evening News (Salt Lake City, Utah) (March 6, 1890), 3.
E. Zimmer, “Otis H. Placey (ca. 1829-1892), Architect,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, December 24, 2017. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, November 18, 2018.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.