Nippell & Bellas, Architects
Max Rudolph Nippell, Architect, Omaha, Nebraska
Charles Bellas, Architect, Omaha, Nebraska
Nippell & Bellas was the short-lived partnership of Max Rudolph Nippell, a Swiss-born architect who located in Omaha in 1905, and Charles Bellas, a native-born builder who also came to Omaha in 1905 and began working as a draftsman. The partnership was formed in 1911, and produced nearly a dozen known buildings before it was dissolved in April of 1913. Both individuals went their separate ways, Bellas leaving Omaha and Nippell teaming up with Fred Petersen for a time in Omaha.
Compiled Nebraska Directory Listings
Omaha, Nebraska, 1911-1913
Buildings & Projects
House for Dr. H. L. Arnold (ca. 1911), 434 N 38th Ave, Omaha, Nebraska.
House for H. Steele (1911), 1338 S 33rd St, Omaha, Nebraska.[1:92] (DO09:0204-088)
Truax Laundry Building (1911), 1518 Cass St, Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0127-013)
Bank Building (1911), Sterling, Nebraska.
House for E. M. West (1911), Syracuse Street, Omaha, Nebraska.
Auto Garage for Electric Cars (1911), northwest corner 40th & Farnam, Omaha, Nebraska.
American Hungarian Society Building (1912), 1623 Cuming, Omaha, Nebraska.[1:110] (DO09:0130-007)
Bank of Talmage (1912), Talmage, Iowa.
Plans for addition to Rose Hill School (1912), Benson, Nebraska.
Rowhouse (1913), 2802 Calwell St, Omaha, Nebraska. (DO09:0217-007)
1. Landmarks, Inc., An Inventory of Historic Omaha Buildings (Omaha: Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, 1980), 183.
2. City of Omaha Planning Department, Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission, Database, Query on Architects, May 20, 2002; courtesy of Lynn Meyer, Preservation Planner.
3. Western Contractor Vol. 20 No. 548. (July 12, 1911), 10. Accessed on August 27, 2016 through Google Books.
4. Western Contractor Vol. 21 No. 593. (May 22, 1912), 22. Accessed on August 27, 2016 through Google Books.
5. “Legal Notices,” Omaha World-Herald (June 12, 1912), 12.
6. "Omaha, Nebraska," American Contractor 32:21 (May 27, 1911): 63.
7. Adv., Omaha World-Herald (April 27, 1913): 3.
8. "Garage on West Farnam," Omaha Bee (October 28, 1911): 15.
Return to Top of Page
Patrick Thompson and the editors wish to acknowledge the support of Restoration Exchange Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska.
Patrick Thompson, “Nippell & Bellas, Architects,” in David Murphy, Edward F. Zimmer, and Lynn Meyer, comps. Place Makers of Nebraska: The Architects. Lincoln: Nebraska State Historical Society, January 19, 2017. http://www.e-nebraskahistory.org/index.php?title=Place_Makers_of_Nebraska:_The_Architects Accessed, October 31, 2020.
Contact the Nebraska State Historic Preservation Office with questions or comments concerning this page, including any problems you may have with broken links (see, however, the Disclaimers link at the bottom of this page). Please provide the URL to this page with your inquiry.