Nebraska Historical Marker: Youst Cemetery
Corner of State Hwy. L41D and Co. Rd E12, 1 mile south of Hampton, Hamilton County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.857608, -97.88247
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
About 1871 what is known as Youst Cemetery was established on the homestead of Samuel B. and Mary Elizabeth Hunt Youst. Youst, S.B. Chapman, and Richard M. Hunt were the first settlers on Beaver Creek, arriving from Lucas County, Iowa in 1870. After the village of Hampton was established in 1880, approximately one mile to the north, many early residents were buried here. Civil War veterans buried in the cemetery are Samuel B. Youst, Lewis M. Hunt, Stanford May, G.W. Hiatt, Benjamin Conner, Alva Misner, and Fred Smith.
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.