Nebraska Historical Marker: University of Nebraska at Kearney

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: University of Nebraska at Kearney

NHM_125_1_11.jpg

Location

2500-2598 9th Ave, Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 40.700600, -99.09396

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

In 1903 the legislature appropriated $50,000 to establish a state normal school in central or western Nebraska. After 111 ballots, the State Board of Education chose Kearney as the site. The city donated twenty acres on the west side of town for a campus, including one building, Green Terrace Hall, which was used mainly as a dormitory until razed in 1960. Construction of the administration building began in 1904. The first classes at Kearney State Normal School were held in the summer of 1905 with 96 students enrolled. In 1921 the school was renamed the Nebraska State Teachers College at Kearney and became a four-year college. The granting of liberal arts degrees was authorized in 1949, and a graduate program was established in 1956. The name was changed to Kearney State College in 1963. On July 1, 1991, the institution became part of the University of Nebraska, to be known as the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK). Under its various names, UNK has played an important role in state development and continues to meet the educational, research, and service needs of Nebraska.

Further Information

Button_Dedication_of_State_Normal_School_Kearney.jpg

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.