Nebraska Historical Marker: The Nebraska State Grange

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: The Nebraska State Grange

NHM_59_1_1.jpg

Location

Rural Broken Bow, Custer County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 41.437329, -99.71526

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in Washington, D.C. in 1867. During the 1870's, it was the major voice of the American farmer and its social, educational, and fraternal activities brightened farm life. "Granger Laws", enacted by state governments, established the pattern for modern America's regulated free enterprise economy. The Nebraska State Grange was organized in 1872, but errors in its co-operative ventures and the rise of the Farmers Alliance led to its decline. The Grange movement was re-established with the organization of Custer Center Grange near here in February, 1911. The State Grange was reorganized in Broken Bow, November, 1911. Local Granges have spread over the state and are noted for contributions to community life and sound farm policy. Custer Center Grange continues as the oldest Grange organization in Nebraska. James D. Ream--first Master of both the Custer Center and Nebraska State Granges--was one of Nebraska's leading agricultural pioneers. One of the first settlers in this valley in 1880, he developed his homestead into the beautiful Cedar Lawn Farm.


Further Information

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.