Nebraska Historical Marker: Susan La Flesche Picotte Memorial Hospital (2)
Near intersection of Matthewson St and Sawyer St, Walthill, Thurston County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 42.151769, -96.49523
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
This hospital was built in 1912 under the guidance of Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte, the first Native American woman physician, with the financial support of the Presbyterian Board of Home Missions and other donors. It served both Native American and white people. In 1988 the Susan La Flesche Picotte Center was established here to commemorate Dr. Picotte as a model student, servant, healer, and leader. The hospital was named a National Historic Landmark in 1993.
Valerie Sherer Mathes, “Susan La Flesche Picotte: Nebraska’s Indian Physician, 1865-1915,” Nebraska History 63 (1982): 502-530
Norma Kidd Green, “Four Sisters: Daughters of Joseph LaFlesche,” Nebraska History 45 (1964): 165-176
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.