Nebraska Historical Marker: Stockholm Lutheran Church and Swedish Cemetery
Nebr. 74 near intersection with County Rd 4, 2 miles west of Shickley, Fillmore County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.423026, -97.76704
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
Stockholm Lutheran Church and Swedish Cemetery, located one mile south and one-half mile west of here, recall the Swedish-American heritage in Nebraska. In the early 1870s Swedish immigrants began settling in Bryant township, Fillmore County, concentrating between the present towns of Shickley and Ong. As the settlement grew, these pioneers considered the need for a church, organized a congregation in 1875, and purchased six acres of land, although meetings were held in a schoolhouse and members' homes until 1881, when the first church was built. In 1878 five acres were deeded to the Swedish Cemetery Association to provide a burial ground for the community.
By 1900 the old church was too small to accommodate the people who came to worship services and social events. The present church, a thirty-six by sixty foot frame structure with Gothic Revival detailing, was constructed in that year at a cost of $3,549. The congregation continued to use the Swedish language occasionally for worship until 1937. Stockholm Lutheran Church and Swedish Cemetery were entered in the National Register of Historic Places on June 30, 1995. Stockholm Church
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.