Nebraska Historical Marker: St John's Episcopal Church - Episcopal Diocese of Nebraska

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: St John's Episcopal Church - Episcopal Diocese of Nebraska

NHM_524_01_01.jpg

Location

Corner of Beech St & N Harvard Ave, Harvard, Clay County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 40.620721, -98.098390

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

The congregation organized in May 1881, building a church that fall on Oak Street east of the Harvard Courier building. The first service was in March 1882, with consecration by Bishop Robert Clarkson, Missionary District of the Platte. Five persons were confirmed. The church was moved to the southeast corner of Beech Street and Harvard Avenue in 1895. Methodist, Congregational, and Christian Churches once also stood at that intersection. Stained glass windows were given by the P.H. Updike family. St. John's is Harvard's oldest church edifice.

Further Information

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.