Nebraska Historical Marker: Post South Loup Fork Fort Banishment

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Post South Loup Fork Fort Banishment

NHM_361_1_1.jpg

Location

43847-43917 Nebraska 2, Ravenna, Buffalo County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 41.010822, -98.89572

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

On the South Loup River southwest of here was the site of the U.S. Army's Post South Loup Fork. This small outpost of Fort Kearney was established in May 1865 by Company "E", Seventh Iowa Cavalry, under the command of Capt. Jams B. David and consisted of a log barracks and stable enclosed by a sod wall. The post monitored the movements of Indians in the Loup River valleys. Sometimes it was called Post Connor in honor of Gen. Patrick Connor. In July 1865 the Iowa Cavalry was replaced by Company "E" of the First Nebraska Cavalry and in August the post was abandoned. In 1871 pioneer settlers from Gibbon used the log buildings for firewood.

According to legend the post became known as Fort Desolation because it was about thirty miles from any settlement. It has also been termed Fort Banishment, because soldiers were sent there as punishment for stealing commissary whisky. Military records do not confirm this.

Further Information

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.