Nebraska Historical Marker: Phelps Hotel
401-499 Pine St, Big Springs, Deuel County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 41.063223, -102.0744
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
The Phelps Hotel was built in 1885 by the Edwin A. Phelps family, who were among the first settlers in the Big Springs area. Also known as the "House of Three Chimneys," the hotel was the most important nineteenth-century landmark in Deuel County. It served as a house of worship when church services were held there, and it became the center of community activities and a haven for early landseekers, travelers, and pioneers. The hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.