Nebraska Historical Marker: Paragon Cemetery

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Paragon Cemetery

NHM_461_1_11.jpg

Location

567th Ave & 885th Rd, Hartington, Cedar County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.655746, -97.18599

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

Paragon Lutheran Church evolved from Bow Valley Evangelical Lutheran Church, established in 1873. Founding families were Albert Erdenberger, Bernhard Olsen, Martin Bottolfsen, and John Anderson. Services were conducted in homes, the District 24 schoolhouse, and in Hartington until Paragon Lutheran Church was built in 1904. Bernhard and Maren Olsen donated the cemetery ground in 1876; Nils Seim was the first burial. Along with the church, cemetery, and school, the Paragon community once included a gristmill, post office, and general store.

Further Information

Bibliography

Elton A. Perkey, “Perkey’s Nebraska Place Names” (1995), Nebraska State Historical Society

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.