Nebraska Historical Marker: Original Townsite of Oak
Rural Unnamed Rd, Oak, Nuckolls County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.225942, -97.87651
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
The original townsite of Oak grew up around a gristmill constructed here in 1882. By 1883 the village had a druggist, physician, blacksmith, and milliner. Oak was platted in April 1884. In 1888 all businesses but the mill moved two miles west to the present site of Oak after the Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad was completed to that point. The White Oak Roller Mills continued to operate until the 1940s, and the buildings were razed in 1977.
Elton A. Perkey, “Perkey’s Nebraska Place Names” (1995), Nebraska State Historical Society
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.