Nebraska Historical Marker: Nature's Gift - the Highway 34 Springs
- This marker has been reported as missing and is scheduled for replacement. - 2017
Near Old Highway 34, 1/2 mile south of U.S. 34 on Ave 339, Benkelman, Dundy County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.065153, -101.5124
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
Since times unrecorded, springs from the Ogallala Formation relieved travelers through the Republican Valley. In 1930 Benkelman citizens improved a nearby spring to benefit motorists on NE 3 (later US 34). The 1935 Republican River flood destroyed the original spring and highway. When the highway was relocated, this rest area was established in 1941 at the site of another spring. The highway was relocated again in 1970 and the state deeded the rest area to Dundy County. Local residents restored it in 2008.
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.