Nebraska Historical Marker: John G. Neihardt Study

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: John G. Neihardt Study

NHM_291_1_11.jpg

Location

Washington St, Bancroft, Cuming County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.011089, -96.57746

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

The building was erected on this site in the 1890s for August Hartman and used as a residence by various owners until 1964. Poet John G. Neihardt rented the building from 1911 through 1920 for a study. Here he wrote his lyrics, prose, and part of the epic A Cycle of the West. The Neihardt Study was restored in 1967 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.

Further Information

Sheet_Music%2C_John_G._Neihardt.jpg

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.