Nebraska Historical Marker: Hastings Chautauqua Pavilion

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Hastings Chautauqua Pavilion

NHM_463_2_11.jpg

Location

2001-2199 W 5th St, Hastings, Adams County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 40.587911, -98.413

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

From the early 1900s through the mid-1920s, summer circuit Chautauquas brought culture and entertainment to communities across the U.S. The Hastings Chautauqua Association constructed this pavilion in 1907. Local architect C. W. Way designed it to resemble a large meeting tent. Seating 3,500, it was the largest pavilion in Nebraska. Notable speakers here included William Jennings Bryan and Senator Robert F. Kennedy. The pavilion, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was partially destroyed by arson in 1992, but was rebuilt in 1993.

Further Information

Auditorium_of_Chautauqua_Park.jpg

Bibliography

James P Eckman, “Culture as Entertainment: The Circuit Chautauqua in Nebraska, 1904-1924," Nebraska History 75 (1994): 244-253

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.