Nebraska Historical Marker: Harvard's 1915 Carnegie Library

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Harvard's 1915 Carnegie Library

Harvard's 1915 Carnegie Library Marker

Location

309 N Clay Ave, Harvard, Clay County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 40.61932, -98.097299

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

Harvard's first library in 1885 was a traveling one established in Church's Drugstore, and moved to other buildings until Mayor George H. Thomas appointed a committee in 1914 to contact the Carnegie Foundation. Citizens pledged $3,175.25 and Carnegie gave $6,000 after approving blueprints and the site. Constructed in 1915, the library was formally opened in February 1916. As of December 2010 the library was one of only 26 of Nebraska's 69 Carnegie libraries remaining as a library.

Further Information

Harvard_Carnegie_Library_1.jpg

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.