Nebraska Historical Marker: Hartington, Home of Two Nebraska Governors

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Hartington, Home of Two Nebraska Governors

NHM_321_1_11.jpg

Location

304 W Franklin St, Hartington, Cedar County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.619645, -97.26838

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

This marker, dedicated on the 100th anniversary of Hartington High School, June 25, 1988, is in honor of two graduates who became governors of Nebraska. Dwight Burney, born in 1892, graduated from Hartington High School in 1910. Burney attended the University of South Dakota and was School Superintendent in Turtin, South Dakota. He served in the Nebraska Legislature for twelve years; as lieutenant governor for eight years; and became governor of Nebraska upon the death of Ralph G. Brooks, September 9, 1960. Burney founded the Pleasant Dale 4-H Livestock Club in Cedar County, and he was co-founder of the Nebraska Livestock Feeders Association. Charles Thone was born in 1924 and grew up on Thone Farm five miles north of Hartington. He attended District 108 grade school and graduated from Hartington High School in 1940. After World War II service, he received a law degree from the University of Nebraska. Thone was congressman for four terms and served as Nebraska's 34th governor. He was chairman of the Midwest Governors Association, chairman of the National Governors Agriculture Committee, and chairman of President Reagan's Export Commission for Agriculture.

Further Information

Dwight_D._Burney.jpg
A portrait of Dwight W. Burney, who was Governor of Nebraska, 1960-1961
Charles_Thone_Family_Postcard.jpg

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.