Nebraska Historical Marker: George and Sarah Joslyn Home
308 N 40th St,(intersection of 40th & Davenport) Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 41.261451, -95.97318
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
The Joslyns purchased the Sutphen farm in 1893 and began landscaping the five-acre site. Omaha architect John McDonald designed the mansion to resemble a Scottish manor. Named Lynhurst and known locally as "Joslyn Castle," the thirty-four-room house was completed in 1903. It includes an interior conservatory designed by landscape architect Jens Jensen in 1913. The Joslyns made their fortune in the ready-print news business and owned the Western Newspaper Union. They gave generously to many Omaha organizations.
Dennis N Mihelich, “The Joslyns of Omaha: Opulence and Philanthropy,” Nebraska History 83 (2002): 2-14
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.