Nebraska Historical Marker: Fort Robinson and the Railroad
Fort Robinson State Park, Crawford, Dawes County, Nebraska
On January 20, 1885, Congress granted the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad a right-of-way through the Fort Robinson Military Reservation. Later this line was acquired by the Chicago and North Western. With direct rail access in 1886, the fort continued to expand its regional importance, and its military use was assured well into the twentieth century. The railroad's arrival also spurred settlement with the founding of the town of Crawford in 1886.
Thomas R Buecker, “The 1887 Expansion of Fort Robinson,” Nebraska History 68 (1988): 83-93
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.