Nebraska Historical Marker: Flagstaff, 1890
Soldier Creek Rd, Harrison, Dawes County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 42.668635, -103.4672
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
This flagstaff, 105 feet high, is constructed of metal pipe with a ladder and crow's nest for buglers. It was originally on the other side of the 1905 headquarters near the highway, having replaced an earlier flagstaff blown down by an 1889 windstorm. In 1930, after runaway mules felled the flagpole, the commanding officer ordered it relocated here. Sergeant John Kailey, with the longest service record at the garrison, hoisted the flag for the first time, on Washington's birthday, 1876.
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.