Nebraska Historical Marker: Dewitt Historical Site

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Dewitt Historical Site

NHM_249_1_11.jpg

Location

1206-1256 15th Rd, West Point, Cuming County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 41.908953, -96.74835

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

Site of the first permanent Cuming County settlement by the Benjamin B. Moore family in 1857, the town of DeWitt was laid out by an Omaha townsite company in 1857. The post office was established February 3, 1858, and discontinued May 26, 1871. In a hotly contested election in 1858, DeWitt lost the county seat to West Point by a vote of 12-7. All that remains of DeWitt is this native-sod cemetery.

Further Information

DeWitt_Historical_Site.jpg

Bibliography

Elton A. Perkey, “Perkey’s Nebraska Place Names” (1995), Nebraska State Historical Society

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.