Nebraska Historical Marker: Crawford 1891 School Bell

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Crawford 1891 School Bell

NHM_271_1_11.jpg

Location

501-549 Coates St, Crawford, Dawes County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.680911, -103.4077 View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

Crawford's first high school building was erected with locally fired brick in 1890 at an approximate cost of $25,000. This bell was installed in the belfry the following year. During the structure's demolition in 1956, citizens stealthily "requisitioned" the bell, fearing its loss. Brick salvaged from the school was used by the Lions Club in constructing this monument in 1979. The bell was placed here as a symbol of the town's commitment to education.

Further Information

Crawford_NE_High_School.jpg

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.