Nebraska Historical Marker: Cowles Consolidated School, 1913-1959
Adams St, Cowles, Webster County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.172663,-98.44950
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
The village of Cowles, founded in 1878 and incorporated in 1912, in 1913 approved a bond issue of $14,000 to construct a three-story brick schoolhouse on this site. It was completed in 1915. Classes were taught there to the eleventh grade level. The first twelfth grade class was graduated in 1920, when District 73 became Cowles Consolidated School, District K. Thereafter twelve grades were taught until the school was closed in 1959.
Elton A. Perkey, “Perkey’s Nebraska Place Names” (1995), Nebraska State Historical Society
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.