Nebraska Historical Marker: Chadron State College

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Chadron State College

State_Normal_School_Exterior.jpg

Location

  • Marker was hit by a car and was removed for repair. Chadron State College, Chadron, Dawes County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.821155, -103.001923

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

Chadron was selected as the site of the fourth Nebraska State Normal School on January 8, 1910, and located on the grounds of the former Chadron Congregational Academy. Classes began in the summer of 1911, concluding with the dedication of the Administration Building. In September, 248 students registered.

By law in 1921, the Normal Schools became Teachers Colleges with the authority to confer the Baccalaureate Degree in Education. The Bachelor of Arts degree was authorized in 1949, and the Master of Science in Education degree in 1955. Recognized as "Nebraska's Pioneering College" for its innovative approaches in Teacher Education, the College has received many national awards.

From its modest beginning, Chadron State College evolved to a rapidly growing multi-purpose institution by mid-century. During the 1960's the college tripled in size. By 1971 the college had achieved an enrollment of 2,469, with nineteen buildings including academic structures and housing complexes located on 213 acres in the 'beautiful Nebraska Pine Ridge area.' Its Alumni have achieved many honors in other areas as well as education.

Further Information

Bibliography

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.