Nebraska Historical Marker: Burlington Depot
401-499 S Seward St, Red Cloud, Webster County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 40.077397, -98.52195
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
Built in 1897, the main section of Red Cloud's Burlington Depot contained sleeping quarters on the second floor, and freight room, agent's office, and waiting room below. The building was moved here from its site near the tracks directly south of its present location. Depots and trains played a significant role in Willa Cather's life and writings, symbolizing both escape to the world and the door through which the world came to Red Cloud. Restored and donated by the Willa Cather Pioneer Memorial and Educational Foundation.
Thomas M Davis, “Building the Burlington Through Nebraska—A Summary View,” Nebraska History 30 (1949): 317-347
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.