Nebraska Historical Marker: Bordeaux Trading Post

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Bordeaux Trading Post

Bordeaux Trading Post

Location

6321 U.S. 20, Chadron, Dawes County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.823805, -102.9278

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

From about 1846 until 1872, an Indian "trading house" occupied a site near here. Built by James Bordeaux, the trading station was once attacked and set afire by hostile Crow warriors. Fortunately, some friendly Sioux Indians came to the rescue and drove off the attacking Crow. James Bordeaux was from a French settlement near St. Louis and while yet a young boy, he went west with fur traders. Bordeaux was active in the fur trade in the vicinity of Fort Laramie from the 1830's until the 1870's. In the 1840's, he served as host to the explorer John C. Fremont and the historian Francis Parkman. He left his name to Bordeaux Bend near Fort Laramie, scene of the Grattan Massacre. His name also survives in the name of Bordeaux Creek, near this marker. The Indians brought buffalo robes, furs, and ponies to this post to trade for guns, powder, beads, blankets, and whiskey. Some of the weapons may have been used against the troops at Fort Phil Kearny and Custer's troops at the Little Big Horn. The story of James Bordeaux's life is the story of the Upper Missouri country from the 1830's-1870's.

Further Information

Bordeaux_River.jpg

Bibliography

Charles E Hanson Jr, “Reconstruction of the Bordeaux Trading Post,” Nebraska History 53 (1972): 137-165

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.