Nebraska Historical Marker: Barnes Reserve Cemetery
S Ingram St & W 9th St, Madison, Madison County, Nebraska
View this marker's location 41.822798, -97.45827
View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map
This hallowed ground is the final resting place for many early settlers of Madison. Founded in 1874, it was used until early 1900. Here lies Madison's founder, Henry Mitchell Barnes, first generation Americans, Civil War veterans, pioneers, and many children who didn't survive to adulthood because of primitive medical care. This marker is a tribute to people of all walks of life who made sacrifices and endured hardships of pioneer days that future generations might remember their heritage.
See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.