Nebraska Historical Marker: Bancroft

From E Nebraska History
Jump to: navigation, search

Nebraska Historical Marker: Bancroft

NHM_31_1_11.jpg

Location

2416-2466 Rd S, Bancroft, Cuming County, Nebraska

View this marker's location 42.003105, -96.56346

View a map of all Nebraska historical markers, Browse Historical Marker Map

Marker Text

Bancroft was the home of John G. Neihardt between 1900 and 1920. Here he wrote all of his short stories and lyric poetry including A Bundle of Myrrh, The Splendid Wayfaring, and the Guest and began his epic poem A Cycle of the West which brought him high critical acclaim. Born in Illinois January 8, 1881, Neihardt lived in Kansas and Missouri before settling in Wayne, Nebraska in 1892. He began writing poetry at the age of twelve, worked his way through Nebraska Normal College at Wayne and taught school. In Bancroft he worked for an Indian trader and edited the Bancroft Blade. In 1921 he was appointed Poet Laureate of Nebraska by Legislative Act. Many Omaha Indians in the Bancroft vicinity helped the poet gain his profound understanding and compassion for their race. Among them were Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte and her sister Susette (Bright Eyes), daughters of Joseph La Flesche (Iron Eyes) last recognized chief of the Omaha. Susette, an eloquent and attractive speaker, was famous for her tireless and effective work in behalf of her people. She is buried beside her father and mother in the Bancroft cemetery.

Further Information

Farley_Brothers_Horse_Sale.jpg

Bibliography

Elton A. Perkey, “Perkey’s Nebraska Place Names” (1995), Nebraska State Historical Society

Marker program

See Nebraska Historical Marker Program for more information.